she was right that reality can be harsh and that you shut your eyes to it at your peril because if you do not face up to the enemy in all his dark power, then the enemy will come up from behind some dark day and destroy you while you are facing the other way. -Frederick Buechner
You cannot fight a battle you don’t think exists.
The Holy Spirit through Peter is stating that believers are under spiritual attack. In 1 Peter 5:8-9, Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings. This is not for non believers relative Rev 12:10 with reference to “your brethren”.
The Holy Spirit insists you Resist the devil, Fight back, Take a stand.
Before a military strike there is an attempt to soften the target. Satan uses these three tactics before striking.
- Take out the lines of communication
- Probe areas of weakness
Take out the lines of communication
- Satan comes in to divide and conquer, for example Marriage is a picture of what God offers his people. Scripture says it is a
- living metaphor
- a walking parable
- a Rembrandt painting of the gospel
Satan hates marriage with every ounce of it’s malicious heart. Satan has no intention of just letting marriage be lived out with such a deep appeal that no one can resist God’s offer.
- Jams Communications with Head Quarters – You will not want to get up, an important interfering meeting will be called, you will catch a cold.
- Cloak of confusion, many times you will be wondering why you ever believed in Jesus in the first place. During Prayer your mind will wander to all kinds of small issues…did i pay the heater bill, what should i eat for breakfast, etc.
Your connection to God is cut off…gone vanished like the sun behind a cloud. If you do not know what is up, you will like God LEFT YOU or whatever spin the Enemy puts on it.
ACTION STEP- There is nothing more to do than pray and re-establish that connection with Jesus Christ, without distraction.
Next, I will expand on the other tactics some more.